Monday, September 01, 2008

My Guardian Door Frog

Little things in life can bring us such joy. I am often amused at how happy I become over the smallest things.

My office is in a daylight basement. For those of you who live in areas where basements aren't common, that means that although part of the room is underground, at least one wall opens up to ground level.

I have a set of double french doors that lead out into my garden. About a month ago, I opened the doors to step outside for a breath of fresh air. As I started to take my first step, a bright green spot caught my eye. It was about between the size of a dime and a quarter. I looked down examine the spot and discovered that it was a bright green little frog!

On that particular day it was a welcome little gift from the universe. I garden organically and attempt to make a hospital environment for critters of all kinds. Seeing this little fellow proved that he (and his kind) feel welcome here.

I watched the little guy for a while and that must have made him a bit nervous because he finally hopped over and crawled underneath one of my Balinese guardian statues that flank my office doors.

Imagine my surprise when the next day I returned to open the door and find my little green friend in the exact same spot! This must be a good "bug gettin" location, because this little frog is there almost every day. I notice that on super hot days he doesn't make an appearance, or on particularly cold days either.

He has become a little companion for me. I can't go into my office without checking to see if he's there. I have also shared his presence with several visitors, who can't quite believe that I KNOW he will be sitting right there.

He's just plain cute. Everyone that has seen him feels happy after the encounter.

May we all be able to not only see these small gifts around us, but may we also be able to fully enjoy and appreciate them for all they are worth!

No comments: