Monday, August 11, 2008

We Can't Do It All

I came across this quote today,

"One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach."
~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

It reminds me that sometimes I get a little too eager and take on too many projects all at one time. I have a tendancy to be interested in everything and often want to be involved in more activities than a realistic alottment of time will allow.

I even feel a sense of urgency about it at times. I begin to feel frustrated when I don't have time to do all the things I want to do.

Over the years, I have learned to work with myself around this challenge. I remind myself that tomorrow is another day and I will have other chances to do what I didn't get to in the current day. I carry it further at times and remind myself that I will be learning new things and experiencing new activities for as long as I live. That seems to help me relax a little bit.

I also have to accept that I might not get to do absolutely everything I have an inkling to do! I'll give it my best shot, but I might not be able to do it.

That's what the quote reminds me of. No one can collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. It's impossible. The trick is to thoroughly enjoy the ones we do collect - both the process of getting it and enjoying the item (or experience) itself. That's the key!

As you 'collect your shells' today, remember to enjoy every moment, and admire the shells you have in your hands, and let go of the ones you haven't gotten to.

No comments: