Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Getting the Right Password

If you've used a computer for any length of time, you are familiar with the challenge of using passwords. Today's technological world is fairly complex when it comes to keeping our data safe and secure. Passwords are one of the mechanisms by which we accomplish this goal.

As a person who uses passwords dozens of times every day, I am often reminded of the power that they have.

I was sitting in a restaurant the other day, trying to use the free wireless internet that they provide. I go to this particular place frequently, and use their internet access a lot. On this particular day, I could not log in for some reason. They change their password from time to time, but I had verified with my waiter that I was indeed using the correct password. I couldn't get on to the internet. Finally I gave up.

The next time I was in the restaurant, the manager came to talk to me about the problems I'd experienced a few days prior. He told me that the password had been changed, but they weren't informed. He apologized for the inconvenience.

That small little word is the key to so much. Without the right password, you can't get where you want to go or access what you need.

A lot of things in life have their own 'password' that is required in order to accomplish what we desire. A lot of times the 'password' is particular knowledge or experience. Sometimes that password is our attitude towards something. The 'key' or password to where we want to go is something that we have to find, nurture and maintain properly in order to turn our goals and dreams into reality.

I'm a big jigsaw puzzle fan. The same principle applies here. You can't simply pick up a piece and randomly fit it in to the puzzle. Each puzzle piece has only one place that it belongs. It is the 'key' or the 'password' for that particular part of the puzzle. None other will do. Just as in the jigsaw puzzle, where sometimes you must try many pieces in one spot before you find the right one, so it is in life. We can use clues in the puzzle to help us find the right piece... the color, size and shape of the hole we are trying to fill can all help us locate and install the right piece.

Finding the missing piece, the key or the password to whatever situation we are facing in life is a process. We have to stay determined and never give up. The key exists. The password is there. We simply have to keep looking for it until we find it. Then... and only then... the door will unlock and we can move into the realm we seek to enter.

No comments: