Thursday, November 13, 2008

Putting Off the Big Task

I marvel at my ability to make mountains out of mole hills! This past weekend, I decided to finally catch up on my filing. I have two big wire baskets in my office. One collects personal papers and one collects business papers. My goal is to perform my filing task once a month. That turns out to be more like 'wishful thinking' than anything resembling reality.

When I finally got around to my filing the other day, I was sure that the 6 months of paperwork was going to take me hours and hours to put away.

As I sat down on the floor and started going through my baskets, I was amazed at how fast it went. Within 35 minutes - I was done! COMPLETELY DONE!

I can't begin to tell you the number of times that I looked at those baskets over the past 6 months with growing angst and dread. I felt guilty for putting it off. I felt frustrated that it seemed like such a big big deal!!

In the end, something I dreaded and feared was easy, fast and somewhat FUN! It felt SO GOOD to watch those piles dissapear into my filing cabinets. I felt more organized and more 'in control' of my physical space. It was a win-win all the way around.

I wonder how many other tasks I blow out of proportion like my filing. What else do I put off and dread, when it could be over quickly and easily?

Got something you are putting off and turning into a mountain? Go tackle it... and feel the immense satisfaction that comes with knocking it off your list!

No comments: