Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Recharging Your Battery

I have a neat little music playing device called a Zune. For those of you who don't know, it's like an IPOD. I enjoy loading up my Zune with various types of music and then listening to it when I hike, workout or garden. My original Zune died a couple months ago, so I recently treated myself to a smaller, lighter version of the Zune. The battery lasts longer than it did on my old model, and I can enjoy about 8 hours of listening on one charge.

I tend to be a pretty disciplined 'charger' of my electronic devices. My cell phone, blue tooth headset, camera battery and my hand held computer all have their various charging needs, so I have my routines and keep everything operational with a fair amount of ease.

My new Zune is so much more convenient (due to it's smaller/lighter size) that I've been using it more than I did my old one.

I was very disappointed this past weekend when I set out to work in my garden for a couple hours, only to have my Zune die on me 30 minutes in to my weeding!

It's true that I also enjoy gardening in the quiet, and listening to the birds and so, that is what I ended up doing on this day. I got to thinking about letting my battery die and contemplated the lessons contained within this experience.

First off, if we use something beyond the length of it's battery life, the object will stop functioning properly. Nothing can keep working when it's battery is drained of energy. It simply can't continue to work without power. As I mentioned, normally, I am very consistent about recharging my devices, but this 'new' device was something I wasn't used to keeping charged properly. It snuck up on me - and I was caught unprepared when I wanted to use it. It didn't have 'the juice' to provide me with what I wanted and needed from it.

We operate much the same as a battery powered device. We require certain inputs to refuel our own batteries. Good food, water, sleep, relaxation and companionship are all things that recharge our batteries. If we neglect any or all of these things, we don't function fully in our lives. We simply can't. If our battery dies, we run out of gas and can't do all that is ours to do.

It is important to have good, solid routines of self care that recharge our batteries consistently. If we do, we live fuller, richer and more satisfying lives. If we neglect those needs, we don't feel up to the task of living our moments with enthusiasm and energy.

Take the time to 'plug yourself in' to the things that recharge your batteries... and meet your days fully charged!

No comments: