Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Cost of Poor Choices

I listen to a lot of inspirational speakers and ministers. While I don't agree with 100% of her theology, I really love Joyce Meyer. Her no nonsense approach to the spiritual life appeals to me. One of the hallmarks of her perspective focuses on personal responsibility and doing our part to clean up our act, as an important part of our spiritual maturing process.

I've heard Joyce Meyer say this many times:

"We pay a high price for low living." – Joyce Meyer

This particular quote really struck me. To me, it isn't about 'right and wrong' or living by specific moral or religious standards. To me, this is common sense and basic spiritual law.

When we make good decisions, we will feel good about them. When we make poor choices, we will experience the consequences of those actions, eventually. No one really gets away with anything, no matter what it looks like.

It's not always easy to do the right thing, but when we make mistakes or take 'low' action, we will pay a price for that. We pay a price emotionally, mentally and often times physically - both in the toll it takes on our body, and in the material consequences in our lives - broken relationships, messed up work situations, school issues, failed projects and the list goes on.

Nothing in life is free... and the cost of bad choices is complication, frustration and pain! We don't need any person or religion to tell us those things are undesirable. When all else fails, life can be our teacher.

Consequences are called universal feedback. It's life teaching us lessons.