Monday, October 01, 2007

Come Little Leaves...

Fall is upon us here in the Pacific Northwest. As I sit here looking at out the window watching the rain fall and noticing an occasional leaf float from a tree to the ground I'm feeling nostalgic.

I have a ritual around the turning and falling of the leaves that goes back to my young childhood. My mom taught me a poem (actually an excerpt of a poem) when I was very young and every year, when the leaves start to fall, I have a ritual recitation of this poem. It's time!

Come little leaves, said the wind one day
Come over the meadow with me and play.
Put on your dresses of red and gold,
for summer is gone and the days grow cold.

Soon all the leaves heard the wind's great call
and down they came fluttering one and all.
Over the meadows they danced and flew,
singing the sweet little songs they knew.

The author of the original poem is George Cooper, and I notice that the words are a little different, and the original poem is a little longer. Here is a link to the full version:

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/comelittleleaves.htm

If you have a child in your life, why don't you consider teaching them this sweet little poem? It has been a cherished memory for me for almost 40 years. I recite the poem every single year and it brings back warm memories of my mom and my childhood. :)

No comments: