Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Leave it Better Than You Found It

I am always on the look out for ways to fill my days with meaning and positive experiences. It's more than a hobby... it's probably an obsession! :)

I like to do things that surprise people, especially strangers. I find it fun to watch people be blown away by the simplest of acts when they are not expecting them.

One of my practices, is to try to leave places 'just a little better' than I find them. One of my favorite places to do this is at Starbucks, other coffee shops or restaurants. I really don't like walking up to the condiment bars and finding a mess. It's not appealing. When you are going in for your cup of coffee, or your lunch, it is nice to go get your 'fixins' in a nice, clean place. So, when I encounter spills or messes at the condiment bars, I clean them up. If someone dumped sugar all over, I clean it up. If someone knocked straws all over the counter, I pick them up and put them where they belong. Ketchup or hot sauce puddles? Swoosh... they are gone. It takes me 30 seconds, and I whip the condiment bar into shape. Just as though I were an employee of the place. I've often wondered what employees think when they see me doing this. :)

I get a sense of satisfaction knowing that the next person who walks up to the counter, will not be met with a mess. Their experience will be a little nicer, because I took 30 seconds to clean up some messes. It's so easy, and yet it is a powerful way to be 'of service' in this world. I'm not doing it for anyone in particular... but rather for anyone and everyone who might follow me on that little part of the path that day.

It makes me feel good... and like I've made a difference in somebody's day.

Give it a try some time. I think you'll be amazed at how satisfying it is! :)

No comments: