Friday, September 05, 2008

The Power of Attitude

Yesterday I dropped off a donation at a local charity that supports foster children. It was a bag full of school clothes and a couple of backpacks. As I was handing the donation to the organization's worker and receiving my receipt, a young woman left the building with a couple of bags in her hands. She was pretty and well dressed. She walked outside as I completed my business.

Suddenly I heard a frustrated exclamation from outside, 'GREAT!' and I heard something that sounded like falling and scattering objects hitting the pavement.

As I walked out to my car, I saw the young lady picking up the contents of one of the bags. She had attempted to toss it into a huge trash dumpster and the bag handles had ripped, sending the bag through the air in the opposite direction of the dumpster. The contents had scattered all over the parking lot. there were broken hangers and other trash. She obviously worked for the organization.

I rushed over to help her pick things up. I said, 'Boy, they sure don't make that easy... do they?' I was referring to how high the dumpster walls are. You have to throw things way up in the air to get them inside. She didn't answer.

I tossed a handful of debris into the dumpster and went back for another bunch.

"One of those days?" I asked.

"ALL of my days are like this," she answered. Her voice was sad and dejected.

All I could muster was, "I'm sorry to hear that."

She thanked me for helping and assured me that she could take care of the rest. Most of it was picked up at this point.

I said goodbye to the young lady and continued on to my car.

I felt bad for her. She seemed pretty defeated and discouraged. I longed to have a chat with her, hear her story and help her lift her chin a bit. The time and circumstance was not right.

I don't know what is going on in her life... but whatever it is, I wanted to talk to her about the power of attitude and perspective. I've been in her shoes and walked through life with that type of outlook. It just keeps perpetuating the problem. We really do have the power to influence our circumstances through the attitude that we walk through life with.

I hope for that young woman, that she finds the power inside herself to change her life experience. No matter what is happening to us or around us, the one thing we can control is our attitude and our response to it.

She seemed bright and was certainly attractive and able. She has more going for her than she seemed to realize. I hold good thoughts for her... and her future!

No comments: