Monday, July 19, 2010

Going Beyond Perceived Limitations

I had such a great experience yesterday. I went hiking with a new friend. She's a much more experienced hiker than I am. She chose a trail that made me a little nervous from it's description.

It was a bit longer than my normal hikes and it involved a pretty serious climb on a slightly difficult to follow trail.

I had some apprehension about the hike. What if I couldn't keep up? What if it was too hard for me?

I really like to 'know' things. I am most comfortable when I'm familiar with the activity that I'm doing. When I hike, I enjoy knowing the trail I'm hiking and having a clear understanding of where I am and how far I have left to go.

My friend had never hiked the 'climbing' part of this trail, so she couldn't tell me where we were or how far we had to go as we traveled along. She was totally comfortable with the process of getting off the trail and finding our way back on.

Finally, after 3 hours of hiking, we arrived at our destination. A pristine, glorious Alpine Lake. It was such a fantastic reward!

I'm so delighted that I pushed through my hesitation and went on this hike! It was yet another reminder that I am capable of more than I give myself credit for.

It is so easy to let our fears and comfort zones keep us from fully experiencing life.

Challenge your fears. Confront your apprehensions and discomfort. Stretch out beyond your comfort zones and perceived limitations. Your life will be far richer and more satisfying if you do!

My friend and I at Marten Lake ~ WA