Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Bucket List in Pajamas

Sometimes you just have to do things that bust you out of your comfort zone!

On a recent visit with my mother, to celebrate her 73rd birthday, we decided to go see the movie, "The Bucket List," in a theatre. I had endured a long 5 hour drive to get to her home that day, and we had already been out for dinner when we made our decision. We decided to go home first and get more comfortable before we went to the theatre.

I said that I felt like getting in my pajamas to watch the movie. My mom laughed. Then I got a brilliant idea! I suggested that we both wear pajamas to the movie! And not just any pajamas... matching pajamas! We both have a pair of chocolate brown PJs that I got us a few years ago. They are super comfortable, and if the truth be told, they look a bit like a pant suit anyway.

My mom started laughing and thought it was a silly idea, but before long we had agreed that we were going to do it!

I don't like to be too matchy matchy with my mom in public. We have been known to buy the same clothes or shoes from time to time, and I'm always a little embarrassed when we end up dressed alike (even if it's just our shoes) when we are out in public!

In this case, however, I wanted to level a direct challenge to the part of me that cares way too much about what other people think! I wanted to go out with my mother, in public on a Friday night, wearing matching pajamas! I wanted to just feel the embarrassment and/or self consciousness and let that be ok.

I suggested that we also wear our matching shoes, and matching black leather jackets, but mom wouldn't go that far! She felt the PJs were enough of a statement!

And so we went. The comfort was exquisite! I got popcorn, and a cherry slurpee (something I haven't had since I was about 12) and we settled in! We were giddy with laughter over our little secret. We were watching this movie in night clothes! :)

The Bucket List, for those of you who haven't seen it, is a sweet movie that I highly recommend. The subject matter is a little challenging, but it is hilariously funny! It is the story of the unlikely friendship between a billionaire and a working man who have each been given a short time to live. They are each facing their own mortality, and decide that they have some dreams left to pursue before they 'kick the bucket.' They co-create a list of things they want to do before they die, and set off on a series of adventures to fulfill their dreams before they run out of time.

The movie is getting substandard reviews, and while I agree that some things might have been done a bit better, the concept is awesome and the message is unmistakable.

LIVE YOUR LIFE!

Go see The Bucket List and be inspired to live your dreams without waiting for a diagnosis to propel you to do so!

No comments: