Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

This weekend, I participated in several family 'rituals' that have great significance for me. It is memorial day weekend. It is the time when we remember those who have passed from our physical midst, into the great beyond. I enjoy this time each year, even though it is a bitter sweet.

I have had a lot of special people pass away from this physical plane. My father, two uncles, two spiritual teachers, many other relatives and some close friends. All contributed something to my life. All are no longer walking among us on the earth.

I spent time in two cemeteries this weekend. One where my father and many of his family members are buried. My grandparents, both sets of great grand parents, uncles, aunts, great aunts, great uncles and distant relatives. I put a single rose on most of my relatives' graves, and special bouquets on my father's grave, my grandparents' grave and my uncle's grave. In those special bouquets, I put roses that match the singles I put on all the other relatives graves. To me, it ties everyone together. I think of each person as I put the flower(s) on their grave. It is my way to remember their influence and impact on my life.

The other cemetery I visit is where my mother's parents are buried. Usually a few relatives gather for this day. We connect, clean and decorate the grave, and remember.

It is comforting to me, to know that many years after these people have left the planet, we are there, every year... remembering them. They mattered. They impacted life for many of us. To pause, reflect, and acknowledge that is to honor their lives.

On this memorial day... take a moment to remember any person who no longer walks the earth... that mattered to you and your life experience. It is an easy way to honor those whom have helped you on your path.

"Memory is the treasury and guardian of all things"
~ Cicero

No comments: