Friday, May 23, 2008

Overcoming Resistance

It's amazing to me how we can resist doing the things we know we need to do. Exercise and eating right are two things that trouble many of us. We can find unlimited excuses and reasons to 'postpone' doing what is best for us. Amazing.

I was reflecting on my own battle with exercise and how easy it is to 'put off until tomorrow' what should be done... TODAY.

For years, I struggled with myself about doing my 30 minutes on the treadmill on a daily basis. I would put it off, always with some incredibly valid reason for 'starting tomorrow.' My procrastination methods worked. I never got to it.

There was a turning point for me. It's when I decided to push through my resistance and make myself get on the treadmill every day, even if it was only for 5 minutes. If I had 'put it off' until the very end of the day, I would still make myself get on the treadmill even for just a few minutes. This was a HUGE breakthrough.

With this seemingly small act, I started to prove to myself that my procrastination efforts would not win. UP to this time, because I had some 'all or nothing' thinking, my procrastination efforts paid off. If I waited until too late in the day, I just wouldn't 'exercise.' The procrastination won... and gained power.

When I made the decision that I had to put my workout clothes on... even if for a short 5 minutes on the treadmill, I started to 'prove' to myself that I really meant business. As soon as I did this, I started to make progress towards my daily goal of doing 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.

It's very important to not be a prisoner of the 'all or nothing' mentality. If we feel that there is only 'one' outcome we can work towards (doing 100% of our goal) it is far too easy to find reasons why we don't have time, energy, etc. to accomplish that goal. When we except 'less than' our ultimate goal, we start to realize that the 'effort' is what's important... not the outcome.

Whatever your goal is, start allowing yourself to do part of it on the days when you really don't feel like doing it at all. You'll start to PROVE to yourself that you can be trusted to 'engage' with your commitments and you'll start to find it easier and easier to actually do what you intend to do!

I'm pretty consistent with my cardio now. It is a result of consistently proving to myself that I'm in it for the long haul and will not be deterred by busy days and over committed time schedules. I WILL give myself some of what I need... every single day!

Try it!!

No comments: