Friday, February 06, 2009

Release the Past

I've been working on a major project in my house for the past 2 weeks. I've been cleaning out my closet!

I have a lot of clothes. I have a lot of difficulty letting go of things - especially clothes.

My closet has not been cleaned out for over 6 years! I've added a lot and released... nothing.

One of the reasons why the 'dead sea' in Israel is 'dead' (meaning nothing grows or lives in it) is because it has 'inflows' but no 'outflows.' The water only leaves through evaporation. If we only take in, but never release, we die.

Think about what would happen if we ate and drank but never eliminate anything. ICKY! We are built, and the universe is built on a system of give and take, receive and release. A proper balance is important for health.

So, my closet was bursting at the seams, I couldn't find anything and was always feeling that I had 'nothing to wear.' Let the purging begin!

I've lost weight in the last 6 years. Some of my clothes are really too large for me now. As I try them on I find myself thinking, "What if I gain weight again? Maybe I should hold on to these?" The curious thing about this is that I've been at my current weight for 4 or 5 years. Sure, it's possible I could gain weight, but it is more likely that I won't.

Also, I've learned a lot about how to dress my body with more figure flattering styles in the last 6 years. Thanks mostly to Nicole Mertes and her Dress Your Essence Workshop. (Sorry, I don't think she does this anymore, but she still has a fabulous website you can look at). Nicole Mertes - Women's Image Institute

As I try on some of my old clothes, they clearly don't 'measure up' in terms of how they look on me. Still, it's hard to let those go too. I can remember where I bought them, and why. They fit the old me, and I'm nostalgic about that.

What it really boils down to, however, is that these things represent an 'old image' I have of myself. I haven't completely let go of the the 'old me' that I've outgrown. It's time to move on, and embrace the amazing me that has been emerging. These old clothes, are like a boat anchor, keeping me from going where I want to go!

I decided that I would use this purging process as a great symbol to myself of my willingness to move forward and embrace the real me that is emerging with all the inner work I have done on myself over the years. It's time to step fully into 'her' and let the old, not-so-constructive parts of myself go - with love, thanks and compassion.

My closet is looking much leaner now. I still have a long way to go! I have unearthed an entirely new wardrobe at this point, which is very exciting.

Exciting too is that all these really nice clothes I'm releasing will find new homes with people who want them and can use them. That feels good.

When we cling to the past, we can't move forward. Releasing old 'stuff' can help us release old 'mental stuff' as well.

Give it a try! Clean out a closet, drawer, cabinet or your car. Release what you no longer use. Let someone have it who wants and needs it. Make room in your life for what is trying to come to you and through you.

No comments: