Thursday, April 22, 2010

Living By Example

"Your example is much more powerful than anything you can ever say." ~ Elisabeth Elliot

I always cringe when I think of a parent saying to a child, "Do as I say... not as I do." What kind of craziness is that?

We emulate and imitate people that we admire. Children admire their parents, and they should WANT to be like them. If we are doing something we don't want our kids to do... we should stop doing it!

This also extends outward beyond just the influence that we have over kids and young people in our lives.

When you are admired and respected by those around you... they watch what you do. They look at your behavior as a guide to what is right, wrong, desirable or undesirable.

It's powerful to have that sort of influence over each other. We should take it seriously.

Our life is an example of our beliefs and of our priorities. Others will notice what we do and how we do it.

One of my favorite people in history, St. Francis of Assisi said, "It is no use walking anywhere to preach, unless our walking is our preaching."

I couldn't agree more! Pay attention to the example you are setting!!