Monday, April 05, 2010

The Small Things Matter

“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.” ~ Mother Teresa

I think we can get very caught up sometimes in believing that we need to do big things in order to make a difference in the world. This is a completely erroneous belief!

Some of the people who have made the biggest differences in my life have done nothing grandiose, but their impact on me has been profound.

I’ve written before about my next door neighbor lady when I was growing up. Lucy treated me with respect and kindness, even when I was a very young girl. I had tea and cookies at her house pretty much every night when I was growing up. A few minutes of her time each night, and she radically altered my life! Who I am today was heavily influenced by her strength and wisdom. All she did was visit with a little girl on a regular basis. She shared what she had to give. She shared her time.

I also think back to a yoga teacher of mine. All she did was show up faithfully and teach her class. I looked forward to her class twice a week for many years. It was constant presence in my chaotic life. Her willingness to show up and teach her class on a regular basis was a comfort to me.

Right now, I have a waiter at one of my favorite restaurants. All he does is serve me food and treat me kindly, yet he is one of the bright spots in my life. I look forward to seeing him. He enriches my life.

It doesn't take much. Give what you have to give in each moment. It doesn't have to be a big, profound gift. The small things add up and matter just as much, if not more than something grandiose.