Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Something Bright in the Darkness

"To every disadvantage there is a corresponding advantage." ~ W. Clement Stone

I'm sitting in the SEATAC airport, with a 3 hour flight delay, contemplating W. Clement Stone's quote. Actually, in my case, I can prove his statement true! Even though I have a 3 hour flight delay in my travel schedule, there actually is an advantage to offset this disadvantage.

I'm flying to Newark and then later on to Tel Aviv, Israel. I was supposed to have almost an 8 hour layover in Newark. Now, because I'm delayed out of Seattle, I have a much shorter layover in Newark. See... it's true!

This may sound silly, but in my case, breaking up the layover is really helpful to me. 8 hours at one airport is a long time. And, I'd much rather be delayed while sitting comfortable in a restaurant or lounge, than to be trapped on an airplane! There is another advantage to my predicament!

One of my primary spiritual teachers, Jack Boland, used to always say that "Contained within every problem is the seed of it's own solution." I think these two concepts are related.

Nothing is all good or all bad. The ancient Yin and Yang symbol demonstrates that to us. Notice that within the black section of the symbol there is a white dot. Within the white section is a black dot. This symbolizes that nothing is purely dark or purely light. Within each bright situation there is some darkness. Within any dark situation, there is some light. We just need to look for it.


Yin-Yang Symbol