Monday, November 12, 2007

An Encouraging New Development

It's about time! That's what I have to say about it. I'm so excited to see that some retailers are starting to embrace the idea of reusable shopping bags! I've been shopping at a food co-op for many years, and have been using reusable canvas bags for my groceries ever since. Within the last couple years, the co-op I belong to (Puget Consumers Co-Op ) introduced square polypropylene bags that are super easy to pack groceries into and to carry. They are awesome. Here is a link to the website for the company that makes Earthwise Reusable Bags

Until recently, the reusable bags were really only common in businesses with a green emphasis, such as my co-op.

Despite my best efforts, I still end up with huge piles of plastic bags in my cupboards and closets. Yes, some of them can be recycled, but some of them can't. I've always been concerned about the environment and this issue is one that bothers me most.

I was delighted when I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond recently, to see that they were selling giant Reusable bags for 99 cents! Their items tend to be bulky, so their plastic bags are HUGE! I bought 2 of the bags and plan to use them every time I shop there (which is frequently, especially during the holiday season). I was thrilled with their decision to start selling these bags and encouraging their use.

This morning, on television, I saw a commercial for Fred Meyer. They were promoting use of their new reusable bags, which are similar to the ones sold by my Co-Op and by Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I'm extremely encouraged. Perhaps this movement will catch on and we will see a huge reduction in the number of plastic bags used in retail stores throughout this country.

These bags would make a great holiday gift! I have a nice set of about 10 bags that I take with me whenever I grocery shop. Think about how many bags that saves over the course of one year!

It is an easy thing that we can all do to reduce our impact on the planet and the environment. So keep a look out for these wonderful bags and pick yourself up a few. While you're at it, pick up a few for your best friends as well!

No comments: