Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Favorite Holiday Movies

Tis' the season! I really love the holiday season! I enjoy listening to Christmas music and I especially look forward to watching all my favorite Christmas shows and movies. I thought I'd share a list of the movies and shows that are part of my holiday season... each and every year. I think ritual and tradition is very important in the grand scheme of life. Watching these movies and shows every year puts me in the holiday spirit, and because so many of them have powerful, life affirming messages, they are a blessing every time they are viewed.

It's a Wonderful Life - My all time favorite movie! The story of George Bailey, who experiences a crisis that leaves him feeling that his life has been a failure only to come to realize the actual impact that his life has had on the world around him. Inspiring, heartwarming and thought provoking! This is always one of my first holiday movies!

The Homecoming - The second movie (after Spencer's Mountain) based on Earl Hamner's autobiographical writings. The Homecoming was the inspiration for the TV series, The Waltons. The story depicted in this movie occurs on Christmas Eve, hence the holiday connection.

Miracle on 34th Street - The movie that PROVES that Santa Claus does exist! I love the original, black and white film from 1947 featuring Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood. This charming story tells of a single mother and her daughter who encounter Kris Kringle, and have their faith in life, love, Christmas AND Santa Claus restored all at once!

A Christmas Carol w/Reginald Owen - There are many versions of this Dickens classic and I actually like several of them. This is the 1938 version starring Reginald Owen.

Scrooge w/Alastair Sim - I also like the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol starring Alastair Sim. It was originally released as Scrooge and later in the US as A Christmas Carol.

Christmas in Connecticut - I actually prefer the 1992 TV remake of this classic starring Dianne Carroll. Very funny! A heartwarming and entertaining story.

My Animated Favorites
No holiday season would be complete without these animated classics. All of them are available on Amazon.com:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Rudolph the Red-Noses Reindeer

Santa Claus is Coming To Town

Frosty the Snowman

A Charlie Brown Christmas

I'm grateful for the chance to write this blog, because in doing so, I just updated all my copies of these classics to DVD. I still had most of them on VHS tape, believe it or not.

Enjoy... and Happy Holidays!

No comments: