Friday, March 28, 2008

Drip, Drip, Drip

A trickle of water can carve an immense canyon. No pressure, no struggle, just the gentle consistency of running water will hollow out the hardest stone.

Tomorrow I will declare victory over the popper weeds in my yard. I have 30 - 60 minutes of weeding left, and I will have achieved my goal.

When I began this endeavor a couple weeks ago, it seemed overwhelming and somewhat hopeless. I wasn't at all sure that I would be able to get the poppers out before the seed pods started exploding. There were days when my fingers were numb and burned from the cold. I wanted to quit. But I didn't. There were days I didn't feel well and didn't want to go 'do my time' in the yard. But I did it anyway. There were days when I questioned my commitment to gardening organically, and not using herbicides or pre-emergents to deal with the evil poppers. Some of these poppers are so small they are difficult to grab and pull out. It would be so much easier to spray them, or to just spread pre-emergents so their payloads wouldn't germinate. But I stayed true to my commitment to organic gardening.

Many 'thoughts' came against me to try to defeat me in my quest. Yet, each day I went out and spent an hour working on the project. Pull a popper. And another. And another. Like a slow drip or trickle of water carving out a canyon, I pursued my goal.

I got bursts of energy when I would survey the progress I'd made. It's amazing how the hours of effort pile up in a very short time!

Tomorrow, I will attain the immense satisfaction of a seemingly impossible task being completed!

Whatever it is that you are facing or need to tackle, it can be done one step at a time. Just take the first step and keep on moving!

No comments: