Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Do it Again and Again and Again

Sometimes when we are working towards a goal, it seems as though we might never 'get there.' I think we've lost some ability to have patience and wait for things in this culture of ours.

It's true, however, that sometimes we work really hard for something and it truly seems like we should have made more progress than we have. This can be frustrating.

I once heard a teacher of mine talk about working on oneself spiritually and how you have to keep doing what you know is right over and over and over and over and over and over again... regardless of the immediate results you are getting (or not getting).

What other choice do we have? The time is going to pass anyway. We might as well keep doing what we know to do and be patient.

I am someone who has struggled with depression and various mood issues for my entire life. Sometimes, even when I'm doing everything I know how to do, life is just plain hard. I don't feel like I'm where I want to be and I get frustrated with how much effort I'm putting in to feeling better when I don't seem to be getting what I'm hoping for.

I guess I could give up, but that just isn't my personality. Not that I don't feel like it sometimes! My choice, however, is to just keep trucking along. One never knows when things will change or turn around. We simply NEVER know!

It's the same with any long term endeavor. Sometimes you practice a skill over and over for years at a time before you really achieve any kind of success of true ability.

You can't rush things. No matter how much we might wish something went faster - it takes what it takes. When you put a seed in the ground, it takes what it takes to germinate, grow and produce fruit. Is it worth the wait? Absolutely!

Never give up is one of my personal mottos. I mean really... the time is going to pass anyway, so why not do what we believe is going to improve things (whatever it is) and watch things change down the road. The results might not be instant... but we WILL eventually see positive results!

Get up and do it again!