Friday, February 19, 2010

Practice Praise and Lift Others Up

Too often in this world of ours, people are all too willing to complain about bad service, but are less willing to sing the praises of someone who does a good job.

I received a phone call a few days ago from someone who was asking me about an online endorsement I gave for the fellow who washes my windows and cleans my gutters. I'm not in the habit of answering phone calls from numbers I don't know, so I let the call go to voicemail. I immediately listened to the message, and returned the call.

We had a short conversation, but I wanted to take the time to let him know that this man, who has done my windows and gutters for 10 years, is indeed a great guy who does wonderful work. The man who called was grateful for my time. I was happy to give the recommendation for my window guy.

In another recent experience, I wrote a letter to thank a professional I worked with in the past, for something they had done for me a long time ago that has only recently paid off and helped me resolve a serious problem. My relationship with this person ended very badly, on a serious sour note, due to some incompetence and poor performance on their part. You can believe that I had let him know, in no uncertain terms, that I didn't appreciate that part of our experience. That, however, had been communicated in the past, when that situation unfolded. This recent happening, however, was a direct result of something positive that this person had done for me. I believe in letting people know when their behavior is sub-standard or unacceptable, but I also believe in letting people know when they have done something well. Sometimes the same person can do some things really well, and handle other things really poorly. I don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I chose to express my gratitude to this person for the good they did, even though the other aspects of their performance had caused me to sever our relationship in the past.

It is important to tell people when they are doing a good job. I think expressing our appreciation and gratitude to those around us who go above and beyond the call of duty is something we should all do more of.

It always feels good when someone acknowledges us for our efforts and contribution. If we enjoy that, we have to know that others enjoy it too!

Whether it's a waiter or waitress that performs their job with enthusiasm and efficiency, a friend who helped you out, a service provider who handle their responsibilities in a way that made your life a little easier, a teacher who went out of their way to help your child, or a checkout person who lets you use a coupon they have behind the counter... take a moment to express your gratitude and appreciation. Write a note, and if possible, send a copy to their boss. It is a way to focus on what is good and right in our world. Guess what? What we focus on grows and expands in our life, so when you acknowledge people who treat you well and do good work for you, you will attract more of the same!