Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Temporary Disorientation

My cell phone decided to die this past week. It was quite sudden. My phone just started randomly shutting down without warning. It also 'rebooted itself' a couple times as well. There was no hope. I needed a new phone.

I went to the phone store and purchased the 'next generation' of my current phone. Silly me, I assumed I wouldn't have much of a learning curve, since the phone was running the same version of Windows Mobile on it.

Last time I got a new phone, it took me about 30 minutes to get everything up and running. This time... well, let's just say it was a little different.

After about 3 hours of work I got myself to a manageable place with this phone. Many things have changed! I'm finding myself in a completely new environment!

My phone has a real keyboard on it, and the phone manufacturer even changed the location of several keys in the layout. Thanks guys! Very helpful for continuity of use!!

At any rate, the point is, my environment has changed, and I have no choice but to get used to it and roll with the punches. I'm trying to be patient with myself, but when I depend on something, I really need to be able to use it well. It's going to take some time for me to get there with this phone.

I can complain about it if I want to, but that won't help me learn it any faster.

Soon, the 'new' keyboard layout will be 'mine.' Before long, the new interface for things will become second nature to me. Time, practice and patience!

It's OK to feel temporarily disoriented when you are experiencing a change in your environment or routines. It's part of the adaptation process. Take a deep breath, relax, and allow the 'new' to present itself and introduce itself to you.