Monday, June 15, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Yesterday I got my hands into a garden for the first time in 3 weeks. I was walking through a friend's garden enjoying the beauty and incredible variety all around me. I stopped at a day lily plant and started pulling off the spent blossoms. It felt good after three weeks of sitting at a computer for long hours, to get out into the garden and do something with a plant! Within a few minutes I had pulled off the spent blossoms, and the plant looked much happier.

It was a simple thing, but it gave me enormous pleasure.

Sometimes I think we set our expectations too high and set ourselves up to require too much in order to feel content. Often we need to realign our expectations to something more realistic and more sustainable.

If indeed we want to be happy, we need to really dive into and enjoy the simple pleasures that life has to offer.

Star Wars (Episode IV - which is really 'the first' movie to us old timers) just started... so I'm off to indulge in another simple pleasure!