Thursday, April 02, 2009

Appreciating the Current Condition

Spring is here. April has started, and yet the rain continues to pour from our Seattle sky. There was actually snow in the rain this morning. It's still cold and dark!

The following quote has particular meaning to me today:

"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring." ~ George Santayana

I love this quote! Being 'attached' to a particular 'state' is a recipe for pain and distress! I love the idea that we need to embrace the 'process' rather than a particular experience or state in order to find fulfillment and happiness.

I was once riding a Washington state ferry with a friend. We were standing outside in the wind. I was very cold and started to complain to my friend. My friend said, "You know, you need to learn to appreciate ALL sensations, including the sensation of being cold!"

This was a revelation to me! Who would think that we actually need to learn to 'appreciate' ALL experiences, even the tough and challenging ones!

It's 'easy' to appreciate being warm and toasty on a cold day. It's not so easy to learn to appreciate being cold! If we can do this, however, what a difference that would make in our experience of life!

Learning to appreciate the process, rather than being attached to a particular outcome or state, is a key to experiencing peace and contentment in life!

Let's be content and at peace! I wish that for us all!!

No comments: