Thursday, April 08, 2010

Learning to Sail

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." ~ Louisa May Alcott

We don't learn much when life is comfortable and easy. It is through the trials and challenges in life that we grow and develop.

Spiritual and personal growth come from going through things.

My teacher, Dr. Bruni, used to say that we are here in the "Earth School" to learn lessons and to grow spiritually. The easy, comfortable experiences of life are great, but that isn't where the great growth and evolution comes from.

It's in the 'tough stuff' of life that our muscles are stretched and strengthened.

I love this quote about storms and sailing. Storms cultivate the skills of a sailor. You need the wind in order to sail. The more wind... the faster and further you can sail!

We do not decide which way the winds blow, but we can set our sails and use the wind to propel us to our destination.