Monday, May 24, 2010

Sharper Vision

I have worn contact lenses since I was 13 years old. I'm 'old school' and wear hard contact lenses. I tried to make the switch to soft lenses a few years ago, but the loss in clarity of my vision was simply not palatable. If you've never worn hard lenses, you wouldn't know what you are missing, but I'm used to a crispness to my vision that isn't possible with soft lenses (according to my eye doctor anyway).

Over the years, my vision has actually remained fairly stable. Every few years I replace my lenses, but that has been about all that was necessary to maintain my clear vision.

This year, my doctor decided it was time to increase my prescription strength a bit. It seems I had slowly, over the past few years lost a little bit of clarity in my vision.

I had noticed that I had more trouble seeing a particular clock in my home from across the room, but didn't give it much thought, until the day I picked up my new lenses!

Last week, my world changed! The day I picked up those new lenses, I realized just how much my vision had deteriorated! Everything is so much sharper and clearer now.

I simply hadn't realized how much I'd lost, until it was restored to me.

Often in life, things 'creep up on us.' Gradual changes, both positive and negative ones, can happen so subtly and slowly that we aren't even aware they are happening. This is a double edged sword. It's a good news/bad news type of deal!

On the positive side, we can make tiny changes, bit by bit, and eventually generate a massive shift in our lives. This is great news. We don't have to make big, dramatic changes to eventually have significant impact down the road.

On the other side of the coin, however, we need to be vigilant to changes in our habits and behaviors that can add up to a larger negative in the long run. Eating just a little bit more each day, can result in a weight gain after several months. Neglecting a relationship, or letting our attention to our friends and loved ones become reduced by competing interests can damage those relationships over time.

Being vigilant and paying attention to what we are doing (and not doing) can pay off big dividends in our lives!

Now that my vision is sharpened and restored - I realize how far I'd 'let it slide' before taking corrective action. The good news is that it didn't take much to correct my course and get me back on track!

Use this knowledge to your advantage! Being the best you can be is largely under your own control and influence!

Pay attention and stay alert. Direct your changes consciously!