Thursday, May 06, 2010

What To Do With Adversity

"Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records." ~ William A. Ward

I believe we all have the ability to rise above difficulty and hardship. I honestly think that, by design, struggle and difficulty are an unavoidable part of the human experience. Through adversity and hardship we are given the opportunity to develop character. We learn what we are made of, and what we are capable of.

In my work as a spiritual counselor and life coach, I've seen many people questioning 'why' they have to go through such "hard stuff" in life. I've asked the same thing myself, I must admit. When you are in the midst of a hardship, it isn't always easy to see a redeeming value to the experience.

Yet, time and time again, in my own life, and in the lives of those I've worked with, I see a powerful and remarkable phenomenon occur. Once we've come through something tough, there is a resilience and strength that has been cultivated in us that we didn't have before. There is a resource to draw on that makes the next 'tough time' just a little bit easier to deal with.

Most of what makes this possible is our willingness to be changed and grown through any experience. We can resist, or we can surrender to the process. The choice is ours.

Wet clay on a potters wheel can be fashioned into the most amazing objects! If the clay decided it didn't want to be molded and shaped, and fought the potter's efforts and intentions, this would not be possible.

Adversity has the ability to mold us into something greater than we were before... if we will allow it! Willingness to be changed and developed is the key!