Thursday, October 01, 2009

I Want His Spunk!

For the past 13 years, I have been visiting an elderly lady in a retirement home. I started visiting two women, but one passed away at 102 years old a few years ago!

How I came to do this is a story in and of itself. I'll save that for another day.

In my years of visiting, I've received an enormous blessing from the women I have visited. Spending time with people who have lived long and full lives is fascinating. I lost all of my grandparents when I was young, so visiting the retirement home 'supplemented' my life in a major way. I get a regular infusion of 'wisdom' from these folks.

A few weeks ago, as I was walking out of the retirement home, after a visit with my friend, I overheard a conversation between two residents in the TV room.

An elderly man was sitting and chatting with an elderly woman. I assumed they were husband and wife.

As I walked by, I heard the man say, "Well, anytime you want help throwing away some of your clothes - just let me know! I'll be glad to help!"

There was a slight pause, and then he added, "Just as long as you have them on at the time!"

The elderly lady giggled and said, "You are sooooo funny!"

I'm guessing they were in their 80's! I got outside the door and started laughing out loud.

It was a sweet little flirtatious exchange that I witnessed. The fact that it occurred between two folks in their 80s tickled me. They are still full of life and sharing that with the world. It impressed the heck out of me!

Those folks have a lot of their lives behind them. They all have various aches and pains that come with aging. They no longer live in their own homes, or have as much control, as they once did, over their own lives. Yet... they are full of pluck and zest for life. I love it!

May we all embrace that level of fun and enthusiasm for our days!!