Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Playing Catch Up Again

I just recently completed a couple really large projects. I'm feeling an immense amount of satisfaction about it! It really does feel good to finish something that you've been working on for a long time.

Devoting so much time to these projects, however, left me behind in many other areas of my life. I had to shift my energy, time and attention to the projects that had big deadlines. As a result, many routine chores and a few really important tasks got pushed to the side.

I even missed a day of writing (blogging) this week, and today... I'm late getting my article written!

This happens to all of us in life. We only have so much time and energy to spend each day. When we have to rise to a challenge that will take extra time and energy, we need to make allowances and cut ourselves some slack in other areas.

This is still hard for me. I like to stay on top of everything... all the time!

This week I'm playing catch up, and trying to just 'enjoy the process.' Many of the tasks I set aside in the past few weeks are things I actually enjoy doing. Rather than succumbing to the sensations of overwhelm that are knocking at the door, I'm going to relax into my 'catch up time' and let it be fun and satisfying!

Each time I start to feel an internal pressure or panic, I focus on whatever I'm doing at that moment and say, "This is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing RIGHT NOW. This is my job in this moment. I'm in the right place, doing what I'm supposed to be doing." It works wonders!

Do you set really high expectations for yourself about what you can get done in a day? Are they sometimes impossible?

Ease up on yourself. Cut yourself some slack. Enjoy whatever you are doing in each moment. You will eventually get finished with all that is essential!