Friday, October 30, 2009

Saved by the Fax

Today, my power went out. It's the beginning of 'the season.' Lots of rain and wind. Many trees will fall down this autumn and winter - a lot of them will clobber power lines. A fact of life where I live.

I came home to find my power out. I had a big project I needed to do on the computer that was going to take many hours. I needed power!

I called the power company. They were aware of the outage and estimated 1 - 2 hours before the power would be restored. I didn't want to wait that long to start my project.

I decided that I would take my laptop and go to a place with wi-fi and get my work done. I packed everything up and 10 minutes later I headed out the door.

I got into my car, and decided (for some 'unknown' reason) to do a test and call my fax machine. That's generally how I 'test,' when I'm away from home, to see if the power is on or off at my house. If the fax machine answers, the power is on. If the fax machine doesn't answer, the power is off. I dialed my fax machine before I even started my car. It rang a few times and the fax machine answered!!!! I was stunned.

I pressed my garage door opener button (which of course, would only work if the power was on) and up went my garage door! The power had come on in the time that it took me to walk from my front door to my car!

I was just about to drive 20 minutes to a wi-fi cafe! That would have used up 40+ minutes of my productive time.

Something caused me to call that fax machine before I even started my car. It really didn't make any sense to do it. I had literally just walked out of the house! Where did that impulse come from? That impulse, and the result saved me a bunch of time and frustration!

Divine guidance. Intuition. It's a powerful gift! When we learn to follow those promptings and not talk ourselves out of them we can experience life at an entirely new level!!