Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Comfort and Joy

What if we lived life with a super simple objective in mind? Sometimes I think we complicate things way beyond reason.

I received a holiday card that has a simple winter scene with the words, "Comfort & Joy" on the front.

It got me thinking about the simplicity of the message that Jesus brought us: To live a holy life we don't need to follow a huge numbers of laws to the letter. A few simple principles, well lived, can transform our lives and the world.

It isn't about looking religious publicly, its about doing what's right and treating other people well. It's as simple as that.

What if we got up every day, and set as a goal to provide 'comfort' to others... and to bring joy to other people's lives? What if we each just set out to do one thing each day to bring comfort and/or joy to another human being? And what if we set our goal to not bring discomfort or sadness to another human being? Can you imagine the world we would live in?

I'm going to to take this Christmas card to heart. On this Christmas Eve 2008, I will endeavor to bring a little comfort and joy to those around me... to those I know... and to those I don't know.

Merry Christmas Eve to us all! Let's all be the best human beings we can be... I think that's what Jesus had in mind!

No comments: