Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The One Who Dreamed

My friend here in Jerusalem has a poster on his wall containing some of the text of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

Link to text and video of the speech

If you've never heard it or read it, I encourage you to do so. It is a stirring vision of the world as it could and should be. A world free of racism and oppression. A world of opportunity and equality for all.

I was touched by a story my friend told me about this poster.

A Palestinian friend and handyman was in the apartment doing some repairwork the other day. They were working near the poster and my friend noticed the man staring at the poster. He asked him if he knew who the man on the poster, Martin Luther King Jr. was. The handyman replied, "He is the man who dreamed of Obama!"

This simple reflection conveys much about how people around the world interpret the election of Barack Obama to the US presidency. It is seen as a leap forward in the maturity and evolution of human kind. It represents some sort of quantum shift in paradigms and consciousness.

I'm still giddy over the election myself. I'm just thrilled to be alive at this time!

No comments: