Monday, May 25, 2009

Family, Fun and Freedom

Today is memorial day. A day when we are invited to remember all those who have passed away. I have some family rituals around this day, that involve visiting cemeteries where family and friends are buried. I enjoy this holiday, because I get to remember all those who have shaped me as a person, and who's lives on this earth plane are over.

This past weekend, I attended the 25th wedding anniversary for a cousin of mine. It was a lot of fun! I got to reconnect with a couple people from my youth whom I haven't seen in 20 years or more. It was a hoot!

The daughters of my cousin put together a slideshow of their lives/relationship. It was really wonderful!

My cousin's dad, Jack, passed away many years ago, at the way-too-young age of 49. Seeing him in this video brought tears to my eyes. Uncle Jack was (and still is) one of my all time favorite people on the planet. He always treated me with such kindness and sweetness. He had a deep, wonderful voice and a deep, booming laugh. I still miss him!

I visited my dad's grave this weekend, and of course that is always a bitter-sweet moment for me. My dad's been gone sine 1997, and I miss him too.

I visited my grandparents (on both sides) graves, and the graves of my great grandparents on my dad's side. Lots of other people too.

I'm always a little sad when I realize how many people from my life have already made their transition to the next dimension/experience. I also love to remember all these people and the impact that they have had on the person that I am, and who I am becoming. I value the contribution that each and every one of them has made to who I am. Without any one of them... I wouldn't be the same!

On this memorial day, celebrate all those people in your life who have passed on, but who have 'made their mark' on you. We are who we are because of all those who came before us, blazed trails for us, and passed on their genes to us! Celebrate the contributions!

Happy Memorial Day!