Thursday, October 08, 2009

Internal Gratitude Revolution

I believe in the power of gratitude. I think most of us go through our days focusing on what's wrong rather than what's right. We complain about what we don't have instead of being grateful for what we DO have.

I think our lives could change radically if we just flipped this around.

What if we focused on what was right more than what was wrong?

What if we gave thanks for EVERYTHING that we appreciate (and often take for granted) throughout each day?

I challenge you to try to do this practice - even for an hour straight: Give thanks for EVERYTHING that you use, eat, drink, experience (and enjoy) during that time.

I tried it this morning and it was amazing how I felt as I did it. Here's what my first few minutes went like as I did the practice as I came home from a hike.

"I'm so grateful for my healthy body that allowed me to take and enjoy that 5 mile hike. Thank you (God/Universe) for the car that allowed me to get there and back. I appreciate that I could afford the gas to drive to and from that hike. I'm so grateful that my schedule allowed me to enjoy this fall day by hiking outside. Thank you for the hot water, shampoo and soap that I'm getting to use for my shower. I appreciate that I live in a place with clean water and enough of it to allow me to use it for showering. I am grateful for a clean dry towel to use to dry myself with. I appreciate that I have clothes to wear."

Get the idea???

As I made all these declarations of gratitude, I also thought about the fact that many people do not have access to all these things that I'm fortunate enough to have. Many people don't have clean water. Some don't have hot water or enough water to bath in. Not everyone enjoys good health. Some people don't have cars or can't afford gas.

After just a short time of this practice my mood improved a great deal. I was feeling really lucky! I also was pulled very much into the present moment - also a good thing!

Give this a try. You don't have to be grateful for anything that doesn't positively contribute to your life, but I think you'll be amazed at just how many things DO enhance your experience of life!!