Friday, October 09, 2009

Sore Muscles

It doesn't take much to move us out of our comfort zone and into 'new territory.'

I'm sitting here this morning with a very sore back. I went to the physical therapist yesterday and we spent 30 minutes doing core activation exercises to strengthen my low back and abdominal muscles.

Thirty short minutes, and a lot of 'rest' periods built in, but still, today - I'm SUPER SORE in that whole region.

When we have an area of weakness, it doesn't take much activity to stretch us and make us uncomfortable.

It doesn't feel good, and yet it is a sign that these muscles are working in a way that they haven't for a long time. It's a good sign. A sign of progress and growth. Growth and improvement doesn't come for free. We usually have to experience some 'growing pains' and discomfort in order to reap the rewards of increased strength or proficiency!

As I sit with my 'sore muscles' today... I remember that it is serving an important 'higher goal.' Increased strength in this region will lead to greater stability in my spine. That means less pain and greater possibilities for the activities that I can perform and enjoy.

A little discomfort on the path is part of the journey to greater strength and increased functionality! I can handle that!

Have you got 'growing pains' in any areas of your life? Are you in a place of discomfort 'on your way' to something bigger and better? Just remember that it is a 'sign' of progress and keep on keeping on!