Monday, October 19, 2009

A Reduced Inflow

When something happens to us repeatedly in life, it's worth taking a look at what it might be trying to tell us.

I woke up the other day to about 1/2 the normal amount of water pressure throughout my house. It was a sudden and unmanageable change. This was an inadequate amount of water pressure to do the normal activities I need to do. You know, like take a SHOWER!

After a bit of investigation, the water company representative discovered that I have a failing "PRV" (Pressure Reducing Valve) between the pipe on the street, and the pipe that carries water to my house. It is severely restricting the flow and causing the water pressure to be far too low.

The really interesting thing is that I had this same problem at my previous house. In that situation, the water pressure was low from the day I moved in. I struggled to work around that problem. I bought a 'water pressure boosting' system for the house, and I installed many, many sprinkler zones in the irrigation system so that the low pressure was enough to power just a few heads in each zone.

I'm embarrassed to say that I limped along with that inadequate pressure for 10 years! It was only when I was selling the house, and had it inspected that I attempted to resolve the problem. The inspector noted it as a problem that needed to be fixed, and so I finally started looking into it.

I had no idea what a PRV was at that point in time. It was a long process of trying to figure out the problem, and finally when the utility company came out, identified the problem and replaced the PRV, a 10 year long struggle came to a close. When I ran my sprinkler system for the first time after the 'fix' I actually cried. I couldn't believe how much better everything worked with adequate water pressure.

This is the second time in my life where I've experienced this problem. Metaphorically, it is an interesting issue to contemplate.

The situations were both caused by a 'disruption' to the flow or supply of an essential resource. It was like I had a kink in the supply hose for something I really needed. The fix was easy in both cases, replace the PRV and 'unkink' the hose, but it wasn't so obvious at the onset.

It got me thinking, however, about the various ways that I might be experiencing a 'disruption' in the flow of other essential resources in my life. I started to ponder if I was taking good care of myself, and giving myself everything I need to live my life at 'full force?' Am I feeling depleted in any way? Am I expecting myself to deal with the demands on myself without giving myself proper rest, nutrition, play time or emotional support?

I realized that the 'message' could very well be that I needed to take a look at how hard I was pushing myself lately, and whether I was giving myself all that I needed to meet these increased demands on my time and energy level. There were definitely some areas that needed attention. Especially in the areas of down time/relaxation and emotional support. I have 'unkinked' the hose now, and I'm feeling and functioning much better!

While the 'onset' of this recent PRV problem was quite sudden, and made it impossible to ignore, I do feel a bit of satisfaction in the fact that I resolved it in a day. I didn't limp along with the problem, feeling confused and powerless, for an insane period of time... like 10 years!!

I'm also pleased that I immediately 'unkinked' not only the PRV, but my own supply of the self care activities that I need to keep my life flowing and feeling good!

Got any 'kinked' supply hoses in your life? Are you setting realistic expectations for yourself? Are you giving yourself all that you need to meet the demands of your life?

Look for those kinks, and open the supply!