Thursday, September 03, 2009

Straight Up

Today I hiked a pretty impressive trail. It's about the 6th or 7th time I have hiked this trail in the past few years. I'm happy to say that all the physical conditioning I've been doing lately has made a huge difference. Today's hike was enjoyable and not at all painful. It felt great!


Mt. Si!

As I started up from the base of the mountain, I looked up into the giant evergreen trees surrounding me. They were very tall. I realized that as I climbed the 4 miles and 3200 feet to the summit, I would be passing the tops of these particular trees, and many trees positioned higher on the mountain. I had along way UP to go!

As I looked at these first trees, I realized that I could never go 'straight up' to my destination. Even if I had the proper tools to climb one of those trees, I wouldn't have the strength and skills to do so. It was not a route that I could take to the top.

Instead, I would spend the next 2 hours on the trail, putting one foot in front of the other. Step, by step by step. One switchback after another. I would still reach the summit, but it wasn't the most direct route.

Often times, in life, we are not able to go directly to a goal or objective. Going straight to ultimate goal is not usually an option. We often have to take a winding, circuitous route to get there.

The point is, we can still get there!

As I looked at those giant trees, I realized that I would soon be high above them. I wouldn't get there instantly, or without effort, but I would get there!

Whatever road you find yourself on today, realize that you can get where you're going. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and never lose sight of your destination!