Monday, January 18, 2010

It's Never too Late to Discover the Good!

I'm 45 years old. Until this past week, I had never eaten a fish taco. Ever. They never appealed to me before. If just didn't seem like 'my thing.'

For some reason, this past Friday night, I was having dinner with my mom to commemorate what would have been my father's 80th birthday. I was at a restaurant I've visited many times. I know their menu well, and I definitely have my favorite items. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a creature of habit. I am comforted by the routine and the familiar.

Many of my friends eat fish tacos all the time. In fact, I had lunch with a friend on Tuesday last week, and that is what she ordered. I've seen them many times, and while they looked somewhat appealing... I was simply never interested.

This past Friday evening, for some inexplicable reason, I had an intense desire to try fish tacos! It was kind of strange, actually. I ordered the fish tacos... and I was almost overwhelmed by how much I LOVED them! They were fabulous!

I had dinner with my brother on Sunday, at a Mexican restaurant, and guess what I ordered again??? I'm hooked!

I find it interesting that I've gone so many years and never had the slightest interest in trying this particular food item and now it is a new favorite. Just like that!

It teaches me two things. First, tastes and interests can change at any time! This is great news for anyone who thinks they can't change their eating habits!

The second thing I learned is that it's never too late to discover good things. No matter how old we get, there is always more to discover in this world of ours.

So much life awaits our discovery! We just need a spirit of willingness to try new things and a belief that it is always possible to find the good!