Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Milestones & the Joy of Discipline

Today is my 600th Blog! I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.

I undertook the discipline of writing each day back in 2007. A good friend of mine in NYC, who has published a couple books, suggested that I should write every day. When I was visiting him in November, he shared with me that he'd told a lot of 'would be' writers that they should write every day, but I was the only one who'd ever done it! I felt good hearing that.

Milestones are important. Some days I wonder why I'm writing this blog. There are plenty of times when I don't feel like it, or I'm tired and would rather just go to bed. Most days, however, I write anyway. It isn't always profound (I know), but I get some thought out on 'paper' as a commitment to myself.

It's a discipline... like working out. I believe something is happening in the process of writing that simply can't happen any other way.

Sometimes the things we do on an ongoing basis don't seem to have an immediate payoff. If something in us calls us to do them, however, we should persevere. I believe the 'payoff' can come at any time, and in many ways. We might not ever know exactly what our persistence has cultivated. I am, however, certain that it serves a purpose and advances us in the course of our endeavors!

To persist in something, with discipline, is an admirable undertaking. It is worthy of respect.

Today I am celebrating the milestone of 600 posts. When we pass through milestones, it feels good to pause, reflect and appreciate our efforts.

Got any big milestones that you are experiencing? Acknowledge... celebrate... Enjoy!