Monday, March 01, 2010

At the Bottom of the Pile

Monday mornings can sometimes be very challenging. This one is a good example. My last couple weeks have been busy and filled with travel. I'm behind in the tasks I need to get accomplished. My 'to do' list for today is impossibly long.

I have so much to do that I'm not quite sure where to start. Several tasks seem to be of equally high priority. Each time I think about starting one thing, another item leaps into my mind and calls out for my attention. Then I notice I haven't started anything!

Ever been in this place? Too much to do. Not enough time to get it all done. Yet, you can't seem to pick a direction and move!

I've been in this place before. It's familiar to me, and I know what I need to do. I need to take some deep breaths, get calm and clear, and choose one thing to tackle. I know I just need to 'break the ice' and get one thing accomplished. Just getting one thing done breaks the paralysis and allows me to start building momentum.

When we are 'stuck' in a place of inaction, sometimes we just have to do SOMETHING... ANYTHING... to get unstuck. It's like loosening an old, rusty bolt. Once you get it moving, it keeps moving.

I tend to start with a small, easy to accomplish task to get the ball rolling. This morning, it is writing this article!

If you are feeling stuck in any area of your life, take a step, any step! One step is all it takes to start the ball rolling and break free!