Thursday, March 11, 2010

Standing Out in a Crowd

Yesterday I wrote about the freedom that came with my "Borrowed Boots" in NYC. Those boots were indeed a gift!

There was something I didn't tell you about them, however. They were bright yellow! A very fun, cheery color, but not something I would usually wear.

Now, if my pants had covered most of the boots, only bright yellow feet would have been visible. My jeans, however, were too fitted below the knee, so they had to be tucked into the boots. I was bright yellow almost all the way up to my knees!

For some people, this wouldn't even cause them to bat an eyelash. I, however, sort of prefer to blend in to the background... not draw attention to myself. So bright yellow boots up to my knees was a big stretch for me!

It got me to thinking about how I don't really like to be looked at... or to be the center of attention. I started to ponder why that might be? Why am I so uncomfortable being observed or noticed?

Lots of issues came to mind. I'm afraid I'll be made fun of or ridiculed. I'm afraid of doing something wrong and having people not like me or think I'm dumb. I'm concerned that I'll be singled out negatively somehow. It was a very interesting 'inner exploration' that I got into... all because of my bright yellow boots!

We need to learn to embrace ourselves and get comfortable in the 'lime light.' We rob the world of our gifts when we hide out, hoping to blend in to the background.

I love this quote by Marianne Williamson, from A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a Course in Miracles:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?'

Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."


I just may go buy myself a pair of bright yellow boots to 'practice' being 'out there' and letting people see me!

Shine your light!