Wednesday, March 24, 2010

He Rolls With It

This month my uncle David, one of my favorite people in the world, turned 80 years old. I have spent many happy days in my adult life in his company - laughing and enjoying a variety of experiences.

I've always been impressed with his resilience and his 'go with the flow' attitude towards life. He seems to roll along above petty grievances and family drama. Everyone adores him.

He spent a lot of his life in the throws of alcoholism. We figured out that he and I got into recovery about the same time - me from my eating disorder, and him from his alcoholism.

Someone who spent a lot of their life in the grips of an addiction might have some bitterness for what they lost or missed out on. My uncle, however, seems to focus on today and doesn't spend a lot of time looking back - at least that's how it appears to me. He takes each moment and lives it for all it's worth. He has a zest for living that I rarely see in people my own age, let alone those in their 70's or 80's.

I've been lucky to travel with him quite a bit and enjoy a lot of life together. He's a great role model for how to just roll with whatever comes along. He doesn't take things too seriously, including himself. I can really learn from that character trait!

He's still fully alive and committed to learning and growing. He has curiosity and willingness to give new things a shot - with incredible enthusiasm. What an attitude!!

I look forward to many more years of learning from and having fun with this magnificent guy.

Happy Birthday Uncle David!!

Me with my Uncle David