Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fresh Air

Fresh air works wonders on a weary mind and body. Yesterday I felt pretty tired and a bit overwhelmed. Coming off of a little vacation and facing lots of deadlines, I worked for several hours in a flurry of activity. It was a gorgeous spring day, and I really felt like going for a walk. Part of me felt I should keep working - that I didn't have enough time to 'goof off.' Another part of me argued that I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by. Soon I'll be traveling a lot for business, and I won't be free to take walks on the the ridge near my home.

When I got out and started walking in the fresh air and sunshine, I started to feel calmer and more at peace. My thoughts slowed down. The weight of the tasks ahead of me started to feel lighter and more manageable.

With each deep breath my body relaxed and my mind continued to clear. The air worked its magic.

When I returned from my walk, I was invigorated and felt more like tackling the next items on my to do list. I was more productive and enjoyed the process of getting the work done!

Fresh air, clearing one's head... it's a powerful mechanism for changing an attitude or a perspective.

If you find yourself feeling stuck, overwhelmed, down or defeated... trying taking some nice slow deep breaths, and if possible, go for a walk outside. Let the fresh air work it's magic.