Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Borrowed Boots

On my recent trip to New York City, I experienced a snow storm! It was actually kind of cool. Seeing the heavy snow coating that giant city is a pretty awesome sight!

When I packed for the trip, I knew that snow was a possibility. I considered taking my snow boots. I purchased them years ago when I was spending one weekend a month in NYC. I kept them there so I could navigate snowy or slippery streets during the winters. They now reside with me in Seattle. They are so large, I decided against tossing them into my suitcase.

When I arrived in New York City and the snow started, I immediately regretted my decision to not take them with me.

I found that I was inhibited by my lack of boots. I only had one pair of shoes with me, and they were entirely inadequate for the weather that I was experiencing.

I felt a little bummed, because I knew that I was not going to be able to take walks in the city, as is my custom (and something I look forward to)!

Then, something wonderful happened. A friend I was visiting pulled out a pair of rubber boots and offered to loan them to me for a couple days!

Suddenly, I was free! These boots enabled me to tromp fearlessly through the building snow as well as the deep water at the intersections. There was nowhere I couldn't go!

Before the boots I was a prisoner in my friend's apartment. I was unable to go anywhere safely or without ruining the one pair of shoes I brought with me.

My friend loaned me boots - the 'tool' I needed in that moment - and suddenly I was liberated and able to go where I wanted and do what I wanted.

So often in life, all we need is the right skill, tool, attitude or thought pattern in order to deal with the task at hand. One little change is sometimes all we need!

If you're feeling stuck or trapped, ask yourself what would help you become free? Do you need to learn something new? Do you need to let go of something that weighs you down? Do you need to change an attitude or belief pattern? Maybe you literally need a physical tool or item that will help you handle what you need to handle.

Don't accept limitations! Find out what you need to 'get it done' and set about securing whatever it is!